Re: Ethernet device initialization

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 11:31:39AM -0500, Ali, Khurram wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been looking for information on where and how an Ethernet device
> gets initialized. Can someone please guide me to the right document? I
> looked at the eCos reference, but I could not gather from there, how the
> initialization actually happens. Specifically, I would like to know how
> the logical and hardware initializations happen.
>
> I am trying to integrate my own networking stack and would like to use
> existing Ethernet drivers with it. I am at a loss of how to go about it.
>
> What packages would I need in my build?

Take a look at

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/io-eth-drv-generic1.html

This documents the downward interface to the ethernet drivers. You
need to keep to this interface if you want to use the existing
ethernet drivers. The interface to your stack can then either use one
of the existing implementatins in packages/io/eth or you can make your
own interface.

        Andrew