From: ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org
[mailto:ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org] On Behalf Of C.J.
Sent: 24 May 2005 18:47
To: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: [ECOS] Clean room module loader + GPL module + Application

Hi,
I know eCos mod-GPL have been discussed several times.
I also understand that eCos is not GPL compatible ---
Using GPL code in eCos kernel will force the license
of eCos application GPL.

GNU GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) states:
   The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it.
   For an executable work, complete source code means all the source
code for all modules it contains,
   plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used
to control compilation and
   installation of the executable.
   However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need
   not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source
or binary form) with the major
   components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
which the executable runs,
   unless that component itself accompanies the executable.

Considering only legal issues (just ignore any technical or code size
issue),
If an eCos system is implemented like this:
(a) eCos kerenl (mod-GPL)
(b) Clean room module loader  (closed license)
(c) A GPL module registers itself as "/dev/storage" (GPL)
(d) Clean room application, mount  "/dev/storage" and use eCos POSIX
layer (via FAT filesystem)
      to access the device (closed license).

Does the GPL "special exception" apply to this situation?
Is it legal If the provider do not release the source code of  (b) and
(d)?

Best Regards,
C.J.