Re: ECOS - MIPS

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:

> patterns means reusability of the design and architecture. if
> u want your opearting system to fullfill future requests, i
> must strongly suggest to use them.the things that eCos uses is
> traditional C programming way of doing reusability and
> maintainability.

Right.

> modern operating systems must modern software ideas and
> architecture.

You're free to write your own.  eCos suits my needs quite
nicely.

> Pattern oriented architecture is not a new idea
> but none of the embedded operating systems uses them.

Firstly, there might be a reason for that.  We're not stupid,
you know.

Secondly, I have no idea what you mean by "pattern oriented
architecture" can you point to a description?  The things that
Google found were either describing ways to fail:

   Pattern oriented architecture - A trend that's found in
   systems created by architects who've recently read and
   digested books on architectural patterns and come to the
   conclusion that implementing patterns (such as
   front-controller, etc) is the key to a successful
   architecture. Rather than determining if common patterns are
   appropriate, and picking the most suitable one, all patterns
   that can be applied are done so, on top of one another,
   creating an entangled, schizophrenic system.

or were marketing buzword-bullshit:

   A standards-based, pattern-oriented architecture that follows
   industry best-practices assures that the NEFS will fit right
   into your development environment.

> Java classes are dynamically loaded. Java will be a future for
> embedded systems. Many companies started to use java. it has
> many benefits. If performance problems are solved, Java will
> be a revolution for embedded systems.

People have been saying that for 10 years.  I stopped paying
much attention 5 years ago.  Java requires MASSIVE amounts of
storage compared to eCos.

> i am going to write an operating system with patterns and
> reusable architecture. i will share it with you in the future
> when i finish.

OK.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I own seven-eighths
                                  at               of all the artists in