Re: Re: eCos Grub Problem

R Vamshi Krishna <vamshi@cse.iitb.ac.in> writes:

> To my knowledge, on Fedora Core which Ragavendra has,
> /etc/grub.conf is a link to /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> So any changes in /etc/grub.conf are reflected properly in
> /root/grub/grub.conf

See my other response, on SuSE they appear to be different files.

> So the problem is that :
>
>  	1. We have Redboot.elf in /boot directory
>  	2. We have the above mentioned menu.lst
>  	3. When we boot we get the afore mentioned output.
>

> So far we have executed a few applications by putting redboot on the
> floppy, then booting the i386 PC, using TFTP to retrieve the
> application
> and the execute it from redboot.
>
> No when we use grub, do we have to boot redboot from grub and then
> execute the application.
>
> Can I not have the setup such that the application directly starts
> running without a ROM Monitor.
>
> In that case my menu.lst will be
>  	Title eCos Application (Hello)
>  		kernel (hd0,1)/boot/Hello

Yes, you can do this, and in fact this is the recommended way of
running eCos application over GRUB. There is often not much point in
using a bootloader to load a bootloader to load the application. The
GRUB version of RedBoot is most useful as a development tool.

See the documentation at:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/setup-i386-pc.html

The only thing to be aware of is that without RedBoot, applications
will default to doing IO only via the serial lines, they will not use
the screen and keyboard.

I have just tried booting a GRUB version of RedBoot from a
floppy-resident GRUB here, and it all works as expected. So, I think
the problems are that somehow the right partition and file name are
not being suppled to GRUB.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts