Re: eCos synthetic on Linux 2.6 powerpc

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 12:48:53AM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have an Apple powerbook laptop (PowerPC G4 processor)running Fedora
> Core 4. I have build all the required toolchain (both the current target
> and for arm-elf)
>
> Now the problem:
> I have been trying without success to build eCos synthetic on this
> machine.
> I have downloaded the eCos source code from the CVS repository (either
> the latest version or 2.0) and tried to compile the way you normally
> compile eCos on i386. (configure/make/make install)
>
> After running the configure script, running make will complete in about
> 5s (e.g. extremely (too?) fast).
> Doing make install will only install usbhost in the destination path
> ($PREFIX/bin).
>
> Here are the last line returned by the configure script,
> configure: warning: Synthetic target ethernet support is only available
> on x86 Linux hosts
> configure: warning: The synthetic ethernet support cannot be built on
> this platform.
> updating cache ../../../../../../.././config.cache
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
>

> Am I missing something obvious?
> What is the proper way for building ecos on a non x86 linus (I have to
> admit, I've always used the binary release for using ecos on synthetic
> target)
>
> BTW, I don't see why the synthetic ethernet support can't be built on
> linux-powerpc, looking at the source code there's really nothing
> preventing it to be built.

I expect ecosconfig should build and run OK on ppc. As you say, the
ethernet driver and USB driver should be buildable, however at the
moment there is no point. The eCos synthetic port is going to be more
of a problem. It contains bits of x86 assembly language which is not
going to work on your PPC. So without eCos it makes no sense to build
the other tools.

To get the synthetic target working on PPC you will need to port
packages/hal/synth/i386linux

        Andrew