Red Hat and FSF Copyrights

People will be pleased to know that Red Hat have finally completed the assignment of eCos to the Free Software Foundation, originally announced in January 2004. This was the main obstacle to the transition of the eCos project to the FSF.

For a while, we will be in a state of transition, and there will be temporary inconsistencies. But for now, any copyrights in relation to Red Hat in eCos software can be considered to now be the FSF. Copyrights owned by maintainers and those assigned to eCosCentric will be transferred shortly.

There is a possibility of RedBoot being renamed due to trademark issues. We aren't certain if this will definitely be required and are still checking with the FSF lawyers, but it is a real possibility. We'll let everyone know if that decision is reached.

A more formal announcement will be made when the transition is fully complete. But we thought we'd share the good news with people.

And thanks to Red Hat and the FSF for completing the transition.

Jifl, on behalf of the maintainers