RE: memory maps, linker control files, etc.

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 16:56 -0700, Andrew Voelkel wrote:
> >> So the ROMRAM or RAM versions of redboot cannot be used to load and debug
> >> ECOS programs? I don't remember reading that anywhere. But of course I've
> >> been reading so much new stuff, I may have not have noticed it.
> >
> >Not correct.  ROMRAM is used for RedBoot (or any monitor) and is
> >perfectly suited for loading RAM programs.  RAM mode is designed for
> >general eCos applications.
> >
> >The ROMRAM and RAM loader templates (.ldi files) are structured so that
> >memory used by one does not conflict with the other.  In most cases,
> >ROMRAM uses a chunk of low memory and RAM version are allowed to use
> >everything else.
>
> Let's see if I've got this straight:
>
> 1. The ROMRAM and RAM memory "loader templates" don't interfere, so a ROMRAM
> monitor can be used to load/debug a RAM ECOS program.
>
> 2. The ROM and RAM memory "loader templates" don't interfere, so a ROM
> monitor can be used to load/debug a RAM ECOS program.
>
> 3. Because the "loader templates" interfere, a ROMRAM monitor cannot be used
> to load/debug a ROMRAM ECOS program.
>
> 4. Because the "loader templates" interfere, a ROM monitor cannot be used to
> load/debug a ROMRAM ECOS program.
>
> 5. The "loader template" consists of the .ldi file and the memory layout
> header file, both in the same folder. The value of HAL_STARTUP determines
> which "loader template" to use.
>
> Correct?

Yes to all.  ROM and ROMRAM modes are only suitable for either a "ROM"
monitor (like RedBoot) or a fixed application (where the target runs
nothing other than that application).  RAM mode is used for more dynamic
setups, e.g. development and testing of new applications.