RE: memory maps, linker control files, etc.

>> Yes to all.  ROM and ROMRAM modes are only suitable for either a "ROM"
>> monitor (like RedBoot) or a fixed application (where the target runs
>> nothing other than that application).  RAM mode is used for more dynamic
>> setups, e.g. development and testing of new applications.
>
>I would add that that, that this is only correct for the default
>configuration. It would be easy to edit the configuration so that for
>example a ROMRAM monitor could execute a ROMRAM application. Just
>modify the memory layout so they don't overlap...

Right. Now that I understand the default mechanics, I can see that. In fact,
I was expecting to see a difference "out of the box" between the .ldi file
for Redboot and an application. That is part of what confused me originally.
I figured that a ROMRAM Redboot would be able to load and debug a ROMRAM
program by default. I'm used to having different linker .ldi file for
"monitors" and programs.

But I get it now.

- Andy