Re: Error building from CVS sources

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:03:20AM -0400, Randall Nortman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:29:26AM -0400, Randall Nortman wrote:
> [...]
> > Not seeing a configure option for this (e.g., --without-gprof), I just
> > deleted the gprof portion of the source tree and ran configure again.
> > This time it apparently completed, so I ran make, which also, to my
> > great surprise, completed successfully.  However, I'm looking for the
> > "configtool" program, referenced in the documentation, but under
> > host/tools/configtool, only ecosconfig is being built.  Is this
> > adequate?  Has configtool disappeared since the 2.0 release?  Or am I
> > doing something wrong?
> >
> > Also, RedBoot is not being built.  In fact, hardly anything is being
> > built.  After a "make && make install", these 12 files are the only
> > things installed:
> [...]
> > So, how am I supposed to be doing this?  I've found no README or any
> > docs for building from source, so I'm sort of flying blind here.
>
> I have, to some extent, answered my own question, with a little more
> digging.  I've managed to get ecosconfig to create a build tree for
> redboot, though running "make" in this tree results in lots of syntax
> errors, which I describe below.  It still might be nice to have the
> graphical configtool available, if only so I can follow along with the
> examples in the documentation.  (I generally prefer command-line tools
> myself, but eCos seems to be a big hairy beast to a newcomer, so the
> comfort of a GUI might be nice at first.)  So, where does configtool
> live?  How do I get it/build it?

The configtool requires a lot of black magic and the right phase of
the moon to compile. Combining that with a 64bit machine is probably
just too much for you as an eCos beginner. I suggest you keep with
ecosconfig. ecosconfig is what most of the power users use anyway.

> OK, so the syntax errors are in packages/cygmon/current/misc/arm/cpu.h.
> The problem starts on line 448, at the definition of the __cli()
> macro, which is inline asm code.  The problem is that this macro
> definition spans multiple lines without line continuation backslashes.
> So, I added backslashes to the __cli and __sti macros.  Errors then
> pop up in monitor_cmd.c line 432, where there is a similar problem
> with missing backslashes.  It seems that this code assumes that quoted
> strings can cross lines without backslashes.  Perhaps that was true
> with an older version of gcc, but my version (4.0.2) apparently thinks
> otherwise.

gcc 4.0.2 is not what what eCos has been tested against. I would
normally suggest you download the tools from the install page, but
since you are on a 64 bit machine i don't know how much use they are
to you.

Also i suspect you have something wrong with your configuration of
eCos. It is not normaly to compile the cygmon package.

How exactly did you configure eCos for building redboot?

There is instructions on how to do this at:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/redboot/rebuilding-redboot.html#AEN2606

> I could keep chugging through the code adding backslashes, but I
> wonder if perhaps there's something I'm missing.  Is this code known
> to be incompatible with gcc 4.0.2?  Am I doing something wrong?  Is it
> a bug in gcc v4, or is gcc fixing an old non-standard behavior?  (I'm
> not quite sure myself what the ANSI C spec says about line breaks in
> quoted strings.)  I do notice that some long strings are backslashed
> in the code; just a few are not.  Perhaps these are recent commits to
> CVS that just haven't been fully tested yet?

I have gcc 4.0.2 as my native compiler on my Linux box. Using this i
can compile linux for the synthetic target with only a couple of
warnings. So in principale most of eCos can be compiled with 4.0.2. It
could be arm specific files which are causing you problems? How i have
not compiled with 4.0.2.

        Andrew