Re: Newbie having problems with iPaq

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 13:17 -0800, Robert W. Bryce wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got an iPaq 3650.  I'm using cygwin on XP, along with the prebuilt
> arm tools available off redhat (which seem to be the same as off
> ecoscentric).
>
> All I'm trying to do is use one of those example programs to simply put
> something onto the ipaq's screen.  That's all.  It shouldn't be hard.
>
> I've tried a few different build types (minimal, full, default) with a few
> different versions of the source tree.  I'm currently working with (I
> believe) the latest source tree and build tools (eCos Configuration Tool
> 2.net (Jun 23 2004...)).
>
> I've updated the hardware RedBoot image a few times, as I've found newer
> versions.
> I can happily dump text to the serial port all day long.
> I tried changing the default console device (in both places).  I've tried
> /dev/tty1 (and /dev/tty0), plus a few others.
> I've tried disabling "Inherit console settings from ROM monitor", and a
> few other settings in/'round there.
> ...and a whole bunch of other combinations...
>
> All that ever occurs, is I get a blank screen containing a solid cursor in
> the upper left-hand corner, and the redhat/ecos logo across the bottom.
> I've been banging away at this for a few days now.  I've done the searches
> in the archives...
>
> The (last) GDB output is as follows (which happened to be based on the
> default configuration):

> || /cygdrive/c/ecos/ecos-2.0/examples> arm-elf-gdb -nw serial
> || GNU gdb 5.3 (eCosCentric)
> || Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> || GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> || are
> || welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> || conditions.
> || Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> || There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> || details.
> || This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf"...
> || (gdb) set remotebaud 38400
> || (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
> || Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS0
> || 0x50047c14 in ?? ()
> || (gdb) load
> || Start address 0x20040, load size 48776
> || Transfer rate: 27872 bits/sec, 299 bytes/write.
> || (gdb) cont
> || Continuing.
> || Init device '/dev/ttydiag'
> || Init tty channel: 2bdd4
> || Init device '/dev/tty1'
> || Init tty channel: 2bdf0
> || Init device '/dev/haldiag'
> || HAL/diag SERIAL init
> || Starting serial example
> || serial example is working correctly!
> || [New Thread 1]
> || Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
> || [Switching to Thread 1]
> || idle_thread_main(unsigned) (data=0)
> ||     at /ecos-c/ecos/ecos-
> || 2.0/packages/kernel/current/src/common/thread.cxx:1243
> || 1243            idle_thread_loops[CYG_KERNEL_CPU_THIS()]++;
> [...]

What are you expecting to have happen?

The iPAQ screen does not implement a /dev/ttyX interface (discussed
earlier this week).  It is possible to get diagnostic messages printed
on the screen (via /dev/haldiag), but you'll have to configure eCos
for it by setting CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CONSOLE_CHANNEL to 1.