Re: Merging 2 Version

    Abraham> Hi Guys,
    Abraham> I am constantly switching between 2 working directories
    Abraham> of the ecos systems.

    Abraham> This became a pain in the side, so I decided to try and
    Abraham> merge them.

    Abraham> I merged the database file and that seems to work ok. I
    Abraham> copied all the new directories from one to another. (none
    Abraham> of which needed to be over written). Now I end up in some
    Abraham> cases, directories that have version "v2_0" and version
    Abraham> "current". The 2 boards im working on are the ep9302 and
    Abraham> the ixdpg425. The "current" version came from the intel
    Abraham> developer site, and the "v2_0" came from the arm.cirrus
    Abraham> site.

Strictly speaking "current" should refer only to a development tree,
e.g. anoncvs. A full release should not use "current".

    Abraham> Can anyone tell me how to make these 2 versions into 1,
    Abraham> or where I could change the version globally. (preferably
    Abraham> all to current).

In theory it should already work with your merged repository.

    Abraham> It seems that I can only create ixdpg425 images when
    Abraham> "ONLY" the "current" directories are there. And for the
    Abraham> ep9302 "ONLY" when the v2_0 directories are there.

First, run "ecosconfig list". The output includes the known versions
for all the packages and should be checked. For example in your merged
repository there should be two versions for the kernel package,
"current" and "v2_0". Intel-specific HAL packages should only have
"current", and arm.cirrus-specific packages should only have "v2_0".

Next, create a new configuration for something like a PC or the
synthetic target and look at the ecos.ecc file. For each package the
configuration tools should default to the most recent version. The
exact rules for comparing version numbers are described in the CDL
guide. "current" is always considered to be the most recent version so
that is what you should see in the ecos.ecc file. The resulting
configuration should build fine.

Given an existing configuration you can change the version of various
packages using e.g. "ecosconfig version v2_0 CYGPKG_KERNEL". The
resulting configuration should still build fine, but be sure that you
do a "make clean" before a rebuild because the current makefile
generator has known problems in this area.

Now repeat for the ixdpg425 and ep9302 platforms. The first should
just build, with all packages using version "current". The second will
default to using "current" for all common packages but "v2_0" for any
ep9302-specific packages. It will probably still build fine, unless
the ep9302 code has specific dependencies on other packages.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect