Re: Looking for these packages under eCos

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:26:16AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 08:48 +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:21:22AM +0530, prashanthu baragur wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >             I am just searching for these packages,
> > >
> > > 1. SSH server
> > > 2. Telnet server
> > > 3. any shell application.
> >
> > Nobody has contributed anything like this.
>
> Furthermore, it's questionable if they make any sense for eCos.

It might not make sense, but it does keep comming up again and again.

We know that executing "programs" is not possible. But there is no
reason why functions cannot be called in responce to commands.

What i think would be useful is some generic CLI code which you can
register "command name":function() pairs to. It would handle command
line editing, maybe history etc as well as doing the parsing of the
input and call the function using the standard (int argc, char *
argv[]) semantics.

Along with this there would be different modules which does the
interaction with the user, ie basic IO. This could be from the serial
port, telnet or ssh etc.

Since stdin, stdout, sterr are global, not per thread (i think), i
think we would require a cli_printf() command which would be tied to
the IO channel used to invoke the command. Per thread variables could
make this easy.

        Andrew