Any ideas on debugging ethernet issues?

So I'm having a hard time figuring out why this isn't just working.

I've got my driver, it compiles (no errors or warnings) and loads and boots. Redboot runs.

I initialize the MAC and the PHY. I know I'm talking to the PHY correctly because I can read its manufacturer id (OUI?) (0x0101 0x8f28). I can monitor the link state and I watch it go up and down if I plug/unplug my cable from my netgear 8 port switch.

The hardware is "known good" when I boot FreeBSD 6.x on this machine it talks across the network just fine.

I'm receiving broadcast packets, and I'd possibly receive packets addressed to me but no one seems to be sending them because ...

I can't seem to transmit packets.

When Redboot starts, it sends about 10 packets, all the same. They look like they might be ARP packets. But while my switch light blinks like there is traffic going out there aren't any packets according to tcpdump(8). What might cause that? I've tried playing around with the Full Duplex/Half Duplex config of the MAC. Either setting doesn't seem to change this.

--Chuck