Random question about performance

So Redboot isn't a speed demon, I knew that, but pings to redboot take on average 4 - 6 milliseconds. Pings to UNIX running on the same hardware take .4 - .8 milleseconds. That is not quite 10x slower. I know Redboot is a polled networking system but it doesn't have to context switch either. What's up with that?

--Chuck

(who is busily desconstructing possible workarounds in his ethernet driver now that its working ;-)