Disable serial device

Hi

A serial device connected to my redboot board interferes with redboot's startup. How would I go about disabling the serial io on this port and only use the tcp-ip channel so that redboot can continue its work uninterupted?

I noticed someone else also had this issue, but was unable to locate a resolution. I appologise if this has been answered elsewhere

Thanks.