Re: Trying to Debug Ecos using GDB

For me it works like this:

cygwin> arm-elf-gdb test.elf
gdb> target remote IP_OF_BDI2k:2001

The informations are in the .elf file...

Oliver

Fahd Abidi schrieb:
Hello,

I am using a BDI2000 JTAG emulator and am trying to debug the ecos
kernel at its startup and low level functions. I am getting stuck and a
very early point In the process, the Kernel Builds fine using the cygwin
based tools I got from ecos.sourceware.org and I have a libtarget.a file
created that has debug symbols in it. However I have been unable to read
the debug symbols from the file into gdb.

Using objdup -g to display the debug info says that the .o files
included have no recognized debugging info.

However using objdump-S shows that I do have source code intermixed with
the disassembly so it does find source code and hence must have the
debug info built in.

Using objcopy to strip the debug symbols takes the 16mb libtarget.a file
to 1.7mb so I am convinced the debug symbols are in the file.

If I try and open libtarget.a with GDB6.3&4 I get an error saying "error
not in executable format".

I am a newbie to ecos so maybe I am not clear on how to get to opening
and viewing the kernel and its code in GDB. Any tips and assistance
would be greatly appreciated.

Fahd