Re: Multi-cast mode warning

Tim Hatton wrote:
Hello,
I am currently in the process of try to get eCos (2.0.43)  running on our
own hardware which uses a DP83848 PHY. I have used the exisiting DP83847
driver (which came with eCos) as a base and I have got to the stage where
the ethernet link is established. I am however getting the following warning
message when initialising the network:

[eth_drv_ioctl] Warning: Driver can't set multi-cast mode

Now, if everything worked I wouldn't be worried about this, but I don't seem
to be getting any IP packets out of the hardware (eCos is trying to send
DHCP discovery messages but they aren't coming out to the ethernet). I
suspect this may be a hardware issue but, I would like some confirm that the
warning above is or isn't anything I need to look into.

My understanding of multi-cast mode is that I shouldn't need it or care but
if anyone could confirm or deny this I'd be very grateful.

This is indeed just a warning and has no affect on normal operations. Multi-case mode is only important for IPv6 and specific multi-cast operations.

If you're not getting any packets, then you probably have a different
[hardware?] problem.