Re: The John's Ousterhout Tcl 6.7 under eCos

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Andrew Lunn wrote:

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:05:07PM +0300, Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
Hello

You will have the old, good, full featured Tcl 6.7 from John Ousterhout
under eCos. There will be one limitation for this port. You won't get
support for the pipelines and Tcl exec command. But, if you want to get
a shell, or get a glue, or have an instrument, that Tcl does it all.

That's it!

Sergei Gavrikov

Hi Sergi

Do you have time to make an eCos package out of this? Put it in
packages/services/tcl?

Andrew

Andrew,

I had a same think. If it is interesting, I would do it. But, please,
check the Tcl 6.7 copyright notice. Is such an appendix to eCos license
okay?

Copyright 1987-1992 Regents of the University of California
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
software and its documentation for any purpose and without
fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright
notice appear in all copies.  The University of California
makes no representations about the suitability of this
software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without
express or implied warranty.

But, in fact, it's possible to leave those Tcl 6.7 sources even without
any changes. In these days I thought about such an eCos branch for Tcl:

$ECOS_REPOSITOTY/language/tcl,

and some CDL compile-rule would compile a libtcl.a for the eCos
install/lib holder. But, perhaps, you pointed on the more suitable place
for the Tcl package.

Yet another remark, the Tcl 6.7 hadn't contained a `socket' command. I
didn't try to adopt the Tcl 7.6 for eCos, in these days I thought that
Tcl 6.7 is very good candidate to be the minimal Tcl core for eCos as
described here: http://wiki.tcl.tk/15051.

But if Salvatore Sanfilippo finish a work under UDP extension for the
Jim (http://wiki.tcl.tk/13925), the Jim would become another candidate
to be a scripting system for eCos.

regards,
Sergei