Re: NIOS2 toolchain build failure under Cygwin

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:

> I knew that, but forgot while I wrote what I did. I can see how a
> non-TCL guru would want to generate CDL instead of understanding the
> finer point of TCL+CDL :-)

I can sympathise with somebody who has issues with TCL.  I
tried to learn it once and failed.  It's the only language that
defeated me.  Except for maybe COBOL -- and I blame that on the
2-day turnaround time for compile attempts.

> Is there a fundamental reason why CDL should not be generated?
>
> Java + Eclipse beats the crap out of TCL + vi when in terms of a
> development environment :-)

Possibly, but I've yet to see a computer powerfull enough to
run Java+Eclipse. Python + Jed is the best. :)

> More specifically a HAL for a customer specific PCB. Those
> HALs belongs in the application space.

I don't really think "application space" is the right place.
I've got quite a few customers who work in "application space"
and the last thing the world needs is them messing about with
the HAL.

To me, having them in a separate repository seems like the way
to go.

> Evaluation boards, quite possibly in eCos.

I don't have any objection to having "standard" HALs in the
standard eCos repository.  The problem we've run across (not
huge, but persistent) is in integrating custom HALs into the
single repository model.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Is a tattoo
                                  at               real, like a curb or a