Serial port contention

Hi,

I am debugging issues with my serial port.  What I need to do is to be
able to share one serial port for diag output and SLIP communication.

As I dig deeper I found out that the serial port is configured to do
blocking reads.  However, an cyg_io_read always returns char '\0' even
when nothing is received.

Has anyone come across this issue?  Is there a good preventive measure
I can use to make sure there is no contention?

Thanks, David