Re: Are the HALs in the eCos repository meant for deployment?

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 01:54:45PM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
> On 8/14/06, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> >?yvind Harboe wrote:
> >> Are the HALs in the eCos repository meant for deployment?
> >
> >Absolutely!  Every one that's in the repository is for some board or
> >device that [at least at
> >some time in the past] existed and the platform could be built and run
> >with no software "tweaks".
>
> But are development/eval boards deployed? I would have thought that
> largely microcontrollers would go on some custom PCB

In my experiance, the hardware i've used for products is so nearly
identical to the development board that i've been able to use the HAL
unchanged. This is something i want, since during the two months it
takes for the hardware people to design, layout, route it, get the PCB
manufactured, get the components put on, power it up and put the fire
out, turn the DRAM the right way around and fix the bugs in the reset
logic, re-spin the board, make it run and finally put it on my desk, i
want to be using the development board to do as much software
development as possible.

     Andrew