Re: Termios and waiting for character input

Gary Thomas wrote:
Andre-John Mas wrote:

Hi,

I have the code below. I want to be able to block until something
is inputted and then continue. The only problem is am finding that
it continues even without anything being inputed. What should I be
doing differently:

It looks like a bug :-(  It seems when ICANON is turned off, the
channel becomes non-blocking and will return EOF (or the equivalent)
when read.  I tried the attached program - on Linux it works as
expected, but on eCos, it gets EOF.

Jonathan - you worked the termios code originally - any ideas?

Non-canonical mode processing was only implemented to support VMIN=0,TIME=0. Support for VMIN>0 is rudimentary and I wouldn't trust it. But VMIN defaults to 0, and that sample code posted doesn't attempt to set it to anything else.

I imagine it defaults to something else on Linux, hence the difference in behaviour. <fx: goes and checks> Aha, in fact it defaults to 6. The POSIX standard does not set any requirements for the default value, so eCos is fine on this count.

Jifl