.ldi for target but no .mlt -- ok to edit?

For some targets (e.g. lpcmt) I see .ldi and .h files, but no .mlt
The .ldi and .h files state // This is a generated file - do not edit

Can someone please confirm my understanding that:

- this comment is an artifact of a previous generation by the memory
  layout tool and not relevant

- that in the absence of a .mlt in pkgconf, it is acceptable to modify the
  .ldi and .h files for the proper map, do the build, and they will not be
  overwritten by  anything else?

Brett