RE: Possible bit-rot in hal_if.c

> Oh yes, I did poke in there. Unfortunately u-boot supports only much
> later and very different models of system controllers from
> Galileo[Marvell].

Are you just trying to get this working with a Malta board you have
around?
Gvien that you can't get the older buggy silicon any longer, I wouldn't
bother with older versions of the part unless there was some really good
reason for doing so.

> I'm trying to boot Linux now and that seems to be failing with :
> "** command abort - illegal memory access?"

Problems like this can also occur as the result of the memory controller
not being setup correctly with respect to the SDRAM timing.  You can
generally get away with a lot until you start doing burst accesses, and
then things tend to fall apart pretty quickly.

Good luck.  I'd offer to try and help more, but I don't have one of
those platforms around.

--Chris