Re: RAM vs. ROMRAM question

On 2006-10-29, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>> I see. So a hex file generated from a ROMRAM elf won't have the
>> correct load addresses in it unless the user offsets them when
>> generating the hex file?
>
> The HEX file with have the RAM address, not a ROM address i
> think. However i never used HEX files for ROMRAM redboot images. I
> would use a binary image and use a JTAG programmer put it straight
> into flash. With ARM you can put it anywhere in ROM and it will work,
> so the load address is not really that important.

I just noticed that when I built the ROMRAM version, a
shellscript was also produced that appears to use an Altera
program called elf2flash to create an srec file.  It appears to
merge in a second "bootloader" srec file that's pulled from
somwhere in the 2.5GB of stuff Altera's duct-taped together and
shoved eCos into.

That sort of implies to me that they've crippled the ROMRAM
startup image so that it doesn't really know how to relocate
itself to the proper address. That would be typical of Altera.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Is this an out-take
                                  at               from the "BRADY BUNCH"?