Re: Re: FreeBSD still lacking bridge support?

> That's good to hear.  I'll take a look at the code over the
> weekend, but knowing the answers to a few preliminary questions
> would help:

I can tell you how the OpenBSD system works.

>  * Is the actual bridging done at the DSR level or in the
>    network task?

Network task, but im not sure which. In general very little happens in
the DSR. It just flags the network task there is something to do. The
thread then transfers the packet from the ethernet device and feeds it
into the network stack.

>  * Does a device with a "bridged" interface pair appear to the
>    outside world as a single device behind a switch? IOW, it
>    has only one MAC address?
>
>  * Is the second interface visible to userspace?

You have options here. The way i used the OpenBSD stack was to create
a bridge interface and add the ethernet interfaces to the bridge
interface. I put an IP address on one of the Ethernet interfaces and
the IP stack used that interface. Since the bridge is underneath the
IP stack it works out how to bridge frames out the correct interface.
The bridge and second ethernet interface are available for the IP
stack, but i never used them.

       Andrew