From: ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org
[mailto:ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Lunn
Sent: November 21, 2006 5:09 PM
To: Wendell Liu
Cc: 'eCos discussion'
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Request clarification about interrupt in RedBoot and
eCos

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 04:47:39PM -0500, Wendell Liu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm getting into the eCos world and made the first cut working on the
> SuperH environment. Since I only have 32k rom, I can't use the RedBoot
> (too big), so I have to develop bootrom by myself, at least to get
> interrupt & UART working. I searched the website and got some
> information about RedBoot, but I'm confused too. Someone please clarify
the following questions for me?
> Thank you very much in advance!
>
> - Does RedBoot use interrupt? Some discusses said RedBoot never use
> interrupt.

Correct, Redboot should not use interrupts.

> - I checked my RedBoot.sym, it does include
> cyg_drv_interrupt_create(...) etc. functions. Are these functions used for
UART or Ethernet?
> - I checked my application .sym too, it only contains normal
> cyg_interrupt_create(...) etc. functions. I'm just curious why RedBoot
> uses cyg_drv_interrupt_create(...), while the eCos uses
> cyg_interrupt_create(...)?

The kernel package provides cyg_interrupt_*(), however RedBoot does not use
the kernel package.

Drivers should use the cyg_drv_* functions which will always exist,
independent of if the kernel package is loaded or not.

Do you actually need a bootloader? Why not just use a ROM application and a
JTAG programmer?

    Andrew