Re: Re: Does i2c module work in RedBoot?

    Grant> On 2007-02-12, wang cui <iucgnaw@msn.com> wrote:
    >>> Does the i2c package work for RedBoot?

    >> Yes, I use it to drive WallClock chip in RedBoot.

    Grant> Thanks. I've heard from a couple others who also use the
    Grant> i2c module in RedBoot.

    Grant> I glanced at the souce code and noticed calls to mutex
    Grant> routines and wasn't sure if that would cause problems or
    Grant> not.

Those calls involve the driver API rather than the kernel API,
allowing the generic I2C code to work correctly in both a
multi-threaded kernel configuration and in a polled-only configuration
like RedBoot. However note that it is not just the generic I2C support
CYGPKG_IO_I2C you need to worry about. Typically there will also be
a hardware-specific device driver and that needs to do the right thing
as well. Usually that is not hard - in the tx and rx routines check
whether or not interrupts are enabled and then either poll or wait for
the interrupt - but some device drivers may not bother.

If instead of a driver for some I2C bus master hardware you are using
the bitbanging support in the generic package, that is usable in both
interrupt-driven and polled environments.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                                 eCos Configuration Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com/               The eCos and RedBoot experts