Re: Preliminary questions on eCOS

On 2007-03-20, JS Stoezel <js.stoezel@magellan.aero> wrote:

> I see there is no tool chain for this type of processor (this
> is stated here: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/getstart.html).
> However I can read: "Developers targeting one of the other
> architectures must build a toolchain themselves at present.
> Full instructions for downloading source code and building a
> toolchain are available.". Doesn't this mean I can port eCOS
> to the tool chain I am using?

It means that if you want to target an architecture for which
there aren't a pre-built gcc/binutils tool-chains, you have to
download the gcc/binutils sources and build a tool-chain.

eCos uses a number of gcc C and C++ extensions as well as some
rather unique binutils features. In theory you could port eCos
to another tool-chain, but it's going to be tough. People on
the mailing list have talked about attempting to do such a
port, but I don't think anybody has reported success.

I'd probably look at other RTOSes (FreeRTOS, XMK, uC/OS-II)
before I'd start thinking about porting eCos to a 16-bit
processor using a non-gcc tool-chain.  Though if you succeed
you'll be the first to do so with either a 16-bit target or a
non-gcc tool-chain, and you'll indeed be rolling in geek-points.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  People humiliating
                                  at               a salami!