Re: Problem with Hello world

On 2007-04-23, David LONY <david.lony@pragmadev.com> wrote:

>>> Because my environment is Windows and I want to compile eCos
>>> under Cygwin (with the Linux Synthetic target)
>>
>> So you need to build a cross compiler, since the cynwin tools
>> are going to produce a MS binary which is not going to run on
>> Linux. You need a Linux toolchain which runs on cygwin.
>>
>> http://metamod-p.sourceforge.net/cross-compiling.on.windows.for.linux.html
>
> I don't want to cross compile for Linux.

You said you did.  Look at the first quoted paragraph above.
You state you want to use the Linux synthetic target. That
means you need to cmpile for Linux.

> I want to compile eCos under Cygwin.

For what target?  You need a Cygwin-hosted cross compiler for
the desired target.  Above you stated you wanted to build eCos
for the Linux synthetic target, so you need a Cygwin-hosted,
Linux-targetted cross compiler.

> But I don't know why the build of eCos doesn't work...

Because it appears you were using a Cygwin targetted compiler
(one that produces Win32 binaries instead of Linux ELF
binaries).  That won't work.

> Does I need to compile it under Linux ?

It's certainly a lot easier to build eCos under Linux, but you
don't have to.  You do have to compile it with an appropriate
cross-compiler.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Being a BALD HERO
                                  at               is almost as FESTIVE as a