How do you all arrange your directory trees?

I'd like to get feedback from people as to how they organize the directory
trees used to hold their eCos projects.

I'm currently working on three eCos projects, one ARM7 AT91R40008 and two
ARM9 AT91RM9200. The two ARM9 projects have slightly different hardware, so
they each use their own slightly different configuration of Redboot, and
will probably wind up using slightly different configurations of eCos as
well.

I'm writing my software as much as possible as re-usable packages. That is,
my own code is organized as a few shared packages used in two or three of
the projects, then a couple more proprietary packages for each project that
could be usable in later projects but not in each other, plus some purely
project-specific top-level code to tie everything together into each final
application.

Also, so far I'm using mostly command line tools under Cygwin. I tried using
Eclipse (we're using an eCosCentric version of eCos), but found it
completely incomprehensible, compared to the other IDEs I've used in the
past. I prefer using my Codewright editor anyway, and don't mind typing
"make" under bash, but I'm struggling along with Insight as my debugger.

My eCos tree is in /opt/ecos/ecos-2.0.41/packages... etc. Should I try to
fold my packages into the eCos tree structure, and write cdl files to
describe them, so that I can incorporate my packages in the same way that
official eCos packages are? Any recommendation on where I should put my
versions of Redboot and eCos? Currently, they're in
/home/pauld/workspace/Redboot_xxx and /home/pauld/workspace/eCos_xxx, where
xxx is the name of the project they're for. How about my top-level
project-specific code? Currently they're under /home/pauld/workspace/xxx.

I'm also writing in C++. Any advice on namespaces?

I'm eager to hear what other people are doing. Detailed info would be
appreciated, if you have time to describe it. Thanks.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco