Re: how to check my modifications to the kernel without a board?

Thank you so much for your help!! But I still not very clear about
some problems.

1. If "Redboot does not use the kernel" , does that mean if I want to
see the result of my modification, redboot is no help. But if without
the redboot, can I still use the VMware to run the ecos? Because I
only see the examples about how to run the redboot on VMware.

2. After these steps:
       " ecosconfig new pc_rltk8139
         edit ecos.ecc and change CYG_HAL_STARTUP to floppy
         ecosconfig tree
         make -s tests "
   and compilation of ecos, I also need to run some applications to
verify my   modification( like get some calculation results). How I
can run the applications and see the results?

Thank you!!!

> Hi, I met a big problem, would you like to give me some advices?
>
> I did some modifications to the ecos Kernel code(like in sched.cxx,
> thread.hxx etc.). But I have no a real hardware board. So I want to
> use VMware as a virtual machine to see the results.Is it possible?

Should be, but i have never done it myself. However, i would actually
recommend using the synthetic target on Linux.

> I tried the redbbot on the Vmware and the "hello.c" example works. But
> after I modified the kernel code and rebuild the ecos using the
> configtool, it did not give any compilation complaints. I know it is
> impossible, there should be a lot of errors in the code. Does Redbbot
> have nothing to do with the ecos kernel files?

> If the redboot has nothing to do with the kernels, how can I check my > modificaiton to the kernel files with VMare?

I would suggest you use the kernel test cases. These are good tests to
see if your changes have broken anything.

Try doing:

ecosconfig new pc_rltk8139
edit ecos.ecc and change CYG_HAL_STARTUP to floppy
ecosconfig tree
make -s tests

Once you have fixed all the compiler error you can run the test cases
in install/tests/kernel/current.

Andrew