Re: network problem

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 02:48:42AM -0400, Rick Davis wrote:
> I have a device using the MPC859T processor that has a small web server
> running using the standard eCos web server. I have a status page that
> auto-refreshes every 15 seconds and I am pinging the unit every second (Yes,
> I have a customer that is actually doing this). I don't really know what
> other network activity is occurring at the customer's site but my test lab
> has Windows network chatter going on. After about 12 or so hours the web
> stops responding and the unit can no longer be pinged. The FEC Ethernet
> driver is receiving packets and is calling the eth_drv_dsr but the deliver
> function is never called.
>
> I have been tracking this down for some time and have noticed the
> following...
>
> 1. The alarm thread in timeout.c is getting blocked when calling
> splx_internal() just before the call to eth_drv_run_deliveries().
> 2. The current value of spl_state in sync.c is 4 (SPL_NET)
>
> Any ideas why the network would not release the splx_mutex?
> Any suggestion on how to further track this down?
> I don't have a GDB interface on my platform. :(

What vintage of eCos are you using? If you go back far enough into the
mists of time, there was at least one bug fix for alarms. But that is
a long time ago.

Do you have asserts enabled? It might give some clues.....

You could also enable CYGIMPL_TRACE_SPLX and call show_sched_events()
when you hit the deadlock. That should tell you what function is
holding the mutex. You might want to add to the log structure
__builtin_return_addresss(0), so you can see one more level up the
call stack. Otherwise i think you will just get spi_slpnet, which is
not much use.

    Andrew