Re: Re: Pure trick for _inpure_ptr and modern toolchains

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 09:19:26AM +0200, Daniel N?ri wrote:
> Sergei Gavrikov <w3sg@SoftHome.net> writes:
>
> > Lasat days I built a few a bit modern toolchains for eCos and played
> > with them. The stuff was binutils-1.16, newlib-1.14, gcc-*-3.4.4.
>
> Hmm, modern? All of those were released in 2005.

1) I wrote "a bit modern" because ecos newbies can download stuffs from
official site are dated 2002;

2) I did choose candidates greping eCos discuss-list because I wanted to
get "a bit modern" and still "stable" toolchain. BTW, eCosCentric offers
GCC3.4.4 for own customers;

3) If you remember Linux kernel developers used GCC-2.95 the very long
period, more that, in those days they did suggest us to use only this
compiler to rebuild the kernels;

> > And I found that for such test builds you can easy resolve the
> > '_impure_ptr issue' in a bloodless manner just using the <target>-ar.
> > Well, I had disliked to mess up the toolchain or eCos sources to keep
> > the peace.
>
> I'm currently using GCC 4.2.1 (arm-elf target), built with headers from
> newlib 1.15.0.
         ^^^^^^ It's libgloss (arm related) has the bug.

According the points above, I wouldn't suggest all to use the freshmeats
are liked on things from www.gnuarm.org site. I got  "Internal compiler
error" with GCC-4 is built even for i?86-linux-gnu target :-). Should
the stable compiler produce it?

> I avoid the _impure_ptr dependency by passing --disable-hosted-libstdcxx
> to the GCC configure script.

Again, I dislike to cut any default settings from the build. Today eCos
C++ stuff doesn't use some features, but, tomorrow it would use the one.
I wouldn't want recompile GCC suite again for that. I can use my build
to link applications with the eCos stuff and without it, for example, if
I would want to build something using newlib only (no eCos).

--
Sergei