Re: Is eCos project still alive?

On 2007-12-13, Loginov Alexander <aloginov@asmpt.com> wrote:

> The question was very simple: why is the latest eCos release 5
> years old?

Because that's the last time somebody paid developers to do the
work involved in a public "release".

> Don't tell me about snapshots.

If you don't want to hear answers, then don't ask questions.

> This is just for eCos itself, for its further development,

Nonsense.

> because snapshots are always supposed to have bugs,

Utter bullshit.  They do have bugs, but so do releases. Neither
is "supposed to have bugs".

> sometimes even intentional, to help to debug other bugs.

Bah. Nobody intentionally checks in bugs.

> Have you ever heard about commercial companies that install
> the latest Linux snapshots to their offices or to the
> expensive products? Never. Just stable releases.

There are no "stable releases" of Linux any more.  Active
development is being done in the "stable" tree.  There are no
more stable and development versions of Linux like there used
to be.

> I guess, you are not from the world of the commercial products
> development.

On the contrary, we are all from the world of commercial
products development.  That's what eCos is used for: developing
commercial products.  I've been using eCos to develop
commercial products for 7+ years, and the lack of "releases"
hasn't been even the least bit of a problem.

If you feel you're not capable of working from a CVS repository
and really want a "released" version, then that's what eCosPro
is:

  http://www.ecoscentric.com/ecos/ecospro.shtml

> The considerations here are a bit different than that in the
> world of open-source software community.

No, not really.

> By the way, Linux is not RTOS and never will be. We have very
> tough hard real-time requirements. So it is not for us. Many
> great RTOSes in aviationa and military actually distinguish
> between privilege levels (QNX, Integrity, LynuxOS, pikeOS,
> etc). MMU usage is Ok in real-time if you use it properly (no
> page swapping, page locking, etc.).

Perhaps one of those RTOSes will meet your privilege management
requirement better than eCos.

--
Grant