Re: Is eCos project still alive?

On 2007-12-14, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 05:38:02AM -0500, Chris Zimman wrote:
>> Frank,
>>
>> I think you raise a valid point here.  Perhaps it would be time to consider
>> creating a more up to date release.
>> Rather frequently on the list, someone will say something to the effect of
>> 'I've downloaded/am using eCos 2.0 ...blah blah...it seems very out of
>> date...'  The traditional response has been 'Go pull the latest from CVS'.
>>
>> Thoughts anyone?
>
> It has been for a long time the aim to make a release once the
> copyright transfer to FSF is completed. This has take much
> much longer than we ever thought it would take. We are nearly
> there, there is just one copyright assignment left, which is
> taking a while to sort out.
>
> Once this is completed we will start the work needed for a
> release. This is not something we can do overnight. It
> involves a lot of work. Nearly ever file needs to be touched
> in order to change the copyright notices. We probably need new
> tool chains, want to merge in the v2 flash branch, maybe pick
> up some patches which got dropped along the way etc. We need
> to do a lot of testing....

If there's anything that can be done by soembody with a few
hours a week to spare, let us know.

As far as testing goes, my opinion is that a "release" doesn't
have to be guaranteed 100% bug free.  It would just need to
mean that there aren't any known incomatibilities beetween
major packages.  I think what we need more than anything is
just some snaphosts that can be used as reference points when
discussing or documenting things.  It's OK if release XYZ has
some bugs.  The important thing is to be able to say "I'm
running release XYZ with these patches" and have that mean
something.

I know one can accomplish the same thing by using a CVS
snapshot for a particular date/time, but without common
reference points in the development history, it's difficult to
even discuss some things.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm gliding over a
                                  at               NUCLEAR WASTE DUMP near