Re: Re: Is eCos project still alive?

Andrew Lunn wrote:

> Once this is completed we will start the work needed for a
> release. This is not something we can do overnight. It involves a lot
> of work. Nearly ever file needs to be touched in order to change the
> copyright notices. We probably need new tool chains,

Hopefully not "need".

> want to merge in
> the v2 flash branch, maybe pick up some patches which got dropped
> along the way etc. We need to do a lot of testing....

Andrew's spot on, and eCosCentric will be involved in that. This has been
planned for a loong time, and I put together a todo list many months ago,
but we've been stalled on the legal side for an inordinate time.

Replying to some other things in this thread, to make things clear,
eCosCentric are a company but it's never been our desire for eCosPro to
_replace_ stable eCos releases, but to augment and improve them. Now we
can't bring everything in eCos to the standard of eCosPro ;) (not least
because there are things that eCosPro has which eCos does not), but the
most important thing at the moment is to get a stable baseline for eCos and
consolidate the state of everything right now. In answer to what Grant
said, yes it will take time which effectively means money, but eCosCentric
is willing to dedicate decent time to this (assuming we're not tied up on
pre-existing contract work of course).

Will the next release be a major step forward from present anoncvs? Apart
from flashv2, probably not for existing anoncvs users, but it will be much
better for new eCos users. Big improvements shouldn't be aimed for releases
really - only bite off what you can chew!

Jifl
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine