fat fs

I am trying to integrate a CF card in true IDE mode using FAT FS. The ide
init functions propery reading the mbr and displaying the partition
information. When I go to mount the fat fs file system, read_boot_record
reads the mbr instead of the beginning of the partition and fails to
initialize because the data read is the mbr not the FAT boot record. I
changed read_boot_record to use 63*512 as the block number instead of 0 when
calling disk_read and it read the correct information. Sector 63 is the
starting point of the first partition.

What is the proper way to initialize the fat fs? Do I need to do something
to select partition 0 before calling mount to mount the fat fs?

Thanks for any help,
Rick