Re: Procedure to release GPL code for eCos

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Aditya Vaidya wrote:
>> There are also a couple of files that have been taken from eCos and
>> modified. Since these files would also need to be released under GPL,
>> should the eCos license at the top of the file be removed and the GPL be
>> inserted instead? Or should we include both?
>
> Since you don't own the eCos code, you are not allowed to take the
> license off.
>
> You can distribute code with different licenses on different files. So
> it is O.K. to have some files with eCos mod GPL and others with
> GPL.

But to clarify what I think Aditya was asking, you can remove the
"exception" part of the licence in eCos-licensed files so that they become
fully GPL'd. What Andrew's saying you mustn't do is remove the whole
licence banner.

That is de facto what happens when you link eCos code with fully GPL'd code
- the eCos code loses its exception.

It's up to you (Aditya) whether you want to remove the exception or not.
You are not required to, just because you are linking with GPL'd code.

Jifl
 **  Visit us at ESC Silicon Valley <http://www.embedded.com/esc/sv>  **
 **  April 15-17 2008, Booth 3012, San Jose McEnery Convention Center **
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine