Re: RedBoot remote GDB support

Mike Playle wrote:
Hi all

I've been told by a colleague that RedBoot's debugging support allows
you to attach a remote debugger to a running board after it's been
booted up, with no physical access to the board (eg when it's been
installed at the top of an antenna pole).

However I can't find anything in the documentation describing this.
As far as I can see the GDB support only applies when booting up the
application and won't be much use once the board has been installed
into the final system.

In case it matters the platform in question is an Intel Xscale
(Gateworks Avila board).

Am I missing something?

It depends on what application you are running. If it's an eCos application (not RedBoot itself), then this should work. If it's Linux (more likely knowing what this board is used for) then the bets are off. There are other ways of debugging Linux applications, but once it's launched, RedBoot is out of the picture.