Re: Porting a new flash driver

Markus Schaber wrote:
Hi, Andrew,

Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:

Ugly, because it looks like the flash driver interface consists of some
static functions, so it will be impossible to support different flashes
concurrently. Luckily, we'll only need a single flash unit at the
moment.
Take a look at the flash_v2 branch. We hope that in the next few
months to merge this into the trunk.

That sounds interesting, I'll have a look at it. But I'm afraid that, for now, I'll go the short path.

Albeit more complex, using the flash_v2 branch is probably your only choice if you want to run JFFS2 on NAND. There's quite a lot of work involved in making this functional (hence why it's not already in the tree!). In particular, the JFFS2 code will need to be updated and there are many NAND specific functions which it expects to be available which the mainline (flash_v1) does not support.

Alternatively, you could go with the current (flash_v1) setup which
does support NAND devices (somewhat - it's not 100% pretty).  RedBoot
and FIS can be run in this mode, just not JFFS2.

Look at the TAMS MOAB port for an example.

What NAND device(s) are you thinking about using?
What's the target architecture?