Re: Are copyright assignments detrimental to eCos?

Markus Schaber wrote:

Additionally, our company has the policy that any substantial
contribution must be copy-lefted, so no-one else can make closed-source
derivates.

Copyright assignment creates a single point of failure against
closed-source derivates, weakening the copyleft.

I completely agree with Markus. We are hesitant to contribute our leon2/3 port and drivers because we do not want to have closed-source distributions (e.g. eCos Pro) using our code without contributing back fixes or improvements. The ideal solution would be to license the eCos code in LGPL. This would allow mixing proprietary applications with the kernel, while force any improvements or bug fixes to be published.

Jiri.