Re: Are copyright assignments detrimental to eCos?

Jiri Gaisler wrote on 2008-04-04 16:11:

Andrew Lunn wrote:

I have looked at the files in eCos Pro, and majority of it has
the GPL license with the linking exception. Is there anything that
would prevent me from merging updated files from eCos Pro back
to the open CVS version?
AFAICS, no, given that you legally received your copy of eCos Pro.
eCoscentric provides a free eCos Pro kit for the Nios processor,
which anyone can download. This would mean that all GPL files in
the kit are free to be merged with the open CVS. Or is there some
other catch ...?

The catch is that in order for it to be included into anoncvs, the owner of the code has to agree and transfer the copyright to FSF. So i cannot just pick up eCosCentric code and commit it. eCosCentric have to agree to it as copyright owner.

So if I contribute code to the anoncvs, I assign the copyright to FSF. If eCoscentric includes the code into eCos Pro, it will still bear the FSF copyright. If they then make a bug fix, any licensee of eCos Pro should be able to submit the fix into anoncvs, since the copyright is still with FSF and the code is still GPL. Have I got this right? Or do I need to assign the copyright to eCoscentric before it is included in the eCos Pro distribution?
No. You would need to assign the code to the FSF. We (eCosCentric) are no longer accepting contributions. The FSF are now the keepers of the eCos copyright and to whom we assign any of our eCos contributions, just like the rest of the eCos community.

As for submitting fixes from eCosPro to anoncvs, copyrightable fixes can only be submitted by the copyright holder, which we do from time to time.

What I am trying to avoid is a fork of a potential contribution,
with one version in anoncvs and some other version in eCos Pro.
As Andrew says, anyone can fork the code. It is GPL code after all. The only condition is they have to adhere to the license.

Anyway, forking is not in our interest, never mind the community's. We want the benefits that contributions to eCos bring, as does everyone else. eCosPro is not a fork, it is a superset of eCos. See http://www.ecoscentric.com/ecos/ecospro.shtml

What you seem to be suggesting is that you want everyone else *but* eCosCentric to benefit from your potential contribution.

Jiri.

-- Alex Schuilenburg

Managing Director/CEO                                eCosCentric Limited
Tel:  +44 1223 245571                     Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive
Fax:  +44 1223 248712                             Cambridge, CB5 8UU, UK
www.ecoscentric.com             Reg in England and Wales, Reg No 4422071

** Visit us at ESC Silicon Valley <http://www.embedded.com/esc/sv> **
** April 15-17 2008, Booth 3012, San Jose Convention Center **