Re: Are copyright assignments detrimental to eCos?

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

Anyway, forking is not in our interest, never mind the community's. We want the benefits that contributions to eCos bring, as does everyone else. eCosPro is not a fork, it is a superset of eCos. See http://www.ecoscentric.com/ecos/ecospro.shtml

What you seem to be suggesting is that you want everyone else *but* eCosCentric to benefit from your potential contribution.

What I am saying is that I want everyone to benefit from our contribution, *and* from potential derivate work in form of bug fixes. Just like the linux kernel. Everyone sees the same kernel code, while applications and drivers can be proprietary if desired. It seems to me that insisting on FSF copyright transfer blocks this in some way. We are still maintaining our own ecos fork (superset), but I would rather see everything merged to anoncvs. But I respect the policy of the anoncvs maintainers and eCoscentric, so we will keep it as is for them time being.

Jiri.