Re: Are copyright assignments detrimental to eCos?

Jiri Gaisler wrote:
Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

Anyway, nobody is trying to force you to contribute here. I am just trying to show you some of the benefits contributions can make to your users, the community as well as yourself. Your changes and improvements are yours to do with as you see fit, subject to licensing of course ;-)

I don't see the benefit to our users if there are two different versions of our contribution, one in the anoncvs and one in the Pro. In such case, I prefer to have our own fork where we have control over what goes into our code modules and where we are able to support it.

The development model for kernels like RTEMS and linux seems more
reliable to me. There is only one code base and all testing, validation

At least as far as Linux goes - this is malarkey. There are more versions of Linux out there than you could count, mostly for those platforms or environments where the code either is not acceptable into the public tree or simply kept back for commercial advantage. For example, you don't see the code for the LinkSys routers in the public tree...

and bug reporting is done on the same set of code. I believe this was also
the case for eCos as long as Cygnus maintained the code. Going back to
this model could in fact benefit eCos Pro, since it would create a much
larger user base for the Pro code, potentially finding more bugs and provide
more improvements. Just my 2 cents anyhow ...

Jiri.