Re: "PANIC: zinit: Out of memory" when num sockets increased to 64

On 2008-04-08, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>> So there's well over 15MB of unallocated RAM. That seems like
>> more than enough RAM to handle 64 sockets.
>>
>> Why am I getting a panic on startup?
>
> The network stack has its own memory pool. See
>
> CYGPKG_NET_MEM_USAGE, CYGPKG_NET_MEMPOOL_SIZE, CYGPKG_NET_MBUFS_SIZE,
> CYGPKG_NET_MBUFS_SIZE.

Several other people seem to have tripped over this bug.  IMO,
the problem is that the default value takes the number of
sockets into account, and the description claims that value is
guaranteed to allow the network stack to start up.

One presumes that the minimum value required for stack startup
could be calculated at configure time based on the max number
of sockets.  Since that isn't being done, should I submit a
patch that would change the description so that it doesn't say
that it is?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Hmmm ... a CRIPPLED
                                  at               ACCOUNTANT with a FALAFEL