Re: "PANIC: zinit: Out of memory" when num sockets increased to 64

On 2008-04-09, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

>> Several other people seem to have tripped over this bug.  IMO,
>> the problem is that the default value takes the number of
>> sockets into account, and the description claims that value is
>> guaranteed to allow the network stack to start up.
>>
>> One presumes that the minimum value required for stack startup
>> could be calculated at configure time based on the max number
>> of sockets.  Since that isn't being done, should I submit a
>> patch that would change the description so that it doesn't say
>> that it is?
>
> Or, better yet, improve the CDL so it behaves as folks expect :-)

That would definitely be better.  I presume if the formula for
the required amount of memory were known somebody would have
fixed the CDL already.

Is it practical to figure out how much is required by
statically examining the source code, or would it be simpler to
just do it emperically/experimentally?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! ANN JILLIAN'S HAIR
                                  at               makes LONI ANDERSON'S