From: Shaun Louie [mailto:sal@microplex.com]
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 11:43 AM
To: ecos-discuss@sourceware.org
Subject: [ECOS] IPv6 Link Local Address - Link ID?

Hi,

When I add a new link local address using SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, the in6_control() function sets a Link ID (3rd and 4th bytes) equal to the interface index. Using ioctl with SIOCGIFCONF after setting the address, I see that the link local address has this Link ID part set to 0x0001. The problem is that from another machine, I cannot ping the link local address that has the Link ID set, but only the original link local address I intended to program to the stack. Maybe the Link ID part of the link local address is only for internal use within the stack?

Another issue is with the Link ID itself - why is it needed and where is it being used? If there is more than one interface, each interface should be given its own MAC address, and therefore the device should generate different link local addresses for each interface. There should be no need to add a separate field in the link local address to differentiate between interfaces, if that is what it is for.

Thanks in advance,
Shaun Louie