Re: NAND flash and JFFS2

Jürgen Lambrecht wrote:
> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>> Rutger Hofman wrote:
>>
>>>  = Or should we switch to YAFFS? It seems to have been ported to eCos,
>>> and it claims it is really, really easy to port anyway.
>>>
>> That is also fully GPL'd. I'm also not entirely sure the eCos port is
>> anything other than vapourware either, unfortunately.
>>
> We use PEEDI debuggers from Ronetix, and on their web site they say
> "Support for additional drivers for MMC/SD, NAND Flash, YAFFS2, USB
> slave available from Ronetix upon request".
> I requested them, and got them. It is done with a separate repository.

Ah that's comforting. Was the port itself by Ronetix or Aleph One?

> We merged the code in our CVS, some fixes in the generic driver
> (/defs/flash/..) (we followed the Open NAND Flash Interface 2.0 spec),
> some fixes in the lowlevel driver (devs/arm/..), and now it works. The
> YAFFS sources were OK, but maybe not the latest versions.
> We have an ARM9 board with Micron nand flash.
>
> You only have to pay for YAFFS if you use it in a commercial product.
> The code is freely accessible via CVS to play with.

That's not quite the case. The code is GPL'd which means it is free (and
Free) for any use, including commercial use, but under the terms of the
GPL. When used with eCos, this means you must be prepared to supply full
source code for every part of eCos code used, including HAL and drivers,
_and_ your application.

Anyone (commercial companies or otherwise) who wants to avoid the GPL
obligations can pay for a different licence. Obviously that's not an option
for eCos.

> I guess I can give you our code if you need it.

We can't incorporate it into the master repository, but (assuming what
you've got is the GPL'd version!) feel free to post it for others to
benefit from, if they're happy to accept the GPL terms.

Thanks,

Jifl
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine