RE: Remote access to ECOS web server from internet

Hi all,

A few months ago, I posted a mail about remote access to web server. Andrew Lunn tried to help me about my problem. But,
I recognized that the reason is not the modem. My device doesn't give any response to modem. Packets come to me and there is
no output from  me (my device). I think, after taking the packet, my code assumes packet as a rubbish and doesn't give any reply.
I aimed to deal with source code but there are lots of files and source codes. So it will take very very long time. May be there is
someone who encountered that problem or could give any advice to me. I didn't understand the difference of LAN and WAN access
to my web server.  May be there is a configuration problem about my network freebsd stack.

My previos post is below. I would be very pleased if someone could help me...

Regards

    alperen:
I'm using athttp server on ECOS. I'm able to reach the main page of the server that I have written in HTML with the address
192.168.x.x (In other words from a local address given by my ADSL Modem).  I have no problem with this.
However, I have to reach this main page from anywhere on internet (not only locally). I'm configuring my modem. (Internal port is
80, external port is for example 5500 using TCP). But, I'm not able to reach main page from outside of the local network. I tried lots
of different situations but nothing changed. Is there anyone who tried this or has any idea? Can it be from ECOS' athttp server?
     andrew lunn:
NAT port forwarding should make it look to the http server that the
request came from within the 192.168.0.0 network. So it should work.
I suggest you check if the packets are actually getting sent from your
NAT device to your eCos device. See if eCos is trying to reply. If
need be use a packet sniffer, or enable debugging in the eCos ethernet
device driver.
     alperen:
Thanks for your suggestions.
I checked the packages. Request came to my device and my device sends ARP to modem but after that time,
no packets go out of my device. When I reach home page from local, everything is ok (packets are appropriate)
but, my web browser does not detect the type of the home page (it must be HTML document).
I didn't understand which causes a problem and difference while reaching from local and reaching from outside.
     andrew lunn:
Does the modem reply to the ARP?
Please show us the actual log of packets from tcpdump.
However, it is very likely to be a configuration problem of your
Modem. As you say, it works locally, so it seems unlikely it is an
eCos problem. You can easily test this. Setup apache, or IIS and see
if that works O.K. with the modem.
     alperen:
There is no arp reply from my modem. While reaching in local, packet transfer is between my device
and my computer. (packet sniffer shows it like that), modem does not have any effect on package transfer.
But, from out of LAN, my device sends an ARP but, modem doesn't give any reply.
I'm using TCP, and setting modem to use port 80. That is global http port. I'm setting my device
as the only server on my modem. It doesn't work. But, if I use any other web server on my computer,
I'm able to reach that server out of LAN. So, i understand nothing from that situation:(
I can send you tcpdump, but out of my device, there is no packages to dump.
     andrew lunn:
So you probably need tech support for your modem, not eCos.